May 27, 2024
As a Montessori educator, the child will always be the WHY for everything I do. There are three ways that I personally align with the mission of engaging each child through not only innovative academics but through exploration of character and a fearless, forward mindset. As we know, Dr. Montessori spoke of the Montessori Directress as being a scientist, a servant, and a saint. I feel that having attended a Montessori school at ages 3-9, I can see how these three attributes of my guides helped lay the foundation for my cosmic task. While a person reading this may think I am trying to score points for an important job, I can truly say that I have lived this authentically and consider my development as a teacher to be the driving force of my successful career.
In order for students to be allowed to explore their character, it is important to address the spiritual needs of the children. Safety, security, and respect are essential to build that community. I have worked on being a prepared adult by taking courses and practicing my craft. I have learned to be consistent, culturally responsive, and empathetic. Building relationships with each student and their family is always my first goal. Without strong relationships, no prepared environment in the world will meet the spiritual needs of the child.
A fearless, forward mindset is the outcome of understanding that mistakes are opportunities for growth. Children must witness the prepared adult as human and as authentic as possible. I know that my students and family understand that I celebrate my authenticity and humanity in every interaction with each person. They see that I am a compassionate and genuine person who sees them in all of their humanity. When students see the adults in their life supporting them on their journey to be authentic, they will have that fearless, forward mindset. The adult is the servant in how they give students the ability to acquire and practice social-emotional skills. As an educator and leader, I celebrate the diversity of thought and humanity in everyone I encounter. We all have something to offer, and no one should make being right the focus if their being right makes someone wrong. I believe in consensus-building and listening as important aspects of guiding children to develop their characters. I also use this approach with parents and colleagues. We all have something to offer. It is important to be a good listener!
No Montessorian can ignore the ability to observe as being pivotal in creating a successful learning environment. My favorite component of excellent Montessori education is observing students. However, I believe we must ourselves be observed. This is not to be caught, like a gotcha, but rather to have someone see our actions as an equally important component in guiding the child. Self-reflection is something I have continuously practiced in my careers. Taking a bird's-eye view, listening to others, and constantly questioning the efficacy of my actions help me be a champion for my students.
As you review my past accomplishments, you will see a pattern of service, compassion, and equity. These characteristics are my moral compass. Being able to be such an integral part of a community that values the development of the child is a life goal. I am excited to start the next chapter of my Montessori journey but never forget the power of being the saint, the servant, and the scientist.
No comments:
Post a Comment