Friday, March 27, 2026

It started with a lie


It Started with a Lie

There is no other way to say this. I was fired because I was gay.

Yes, it is illegal. And yes, I tried to find an attorney. But my salary was not high enough, and the pockets of my privately owned school were not deep enough to make it worth their time. That is one of the quieter truths about discrimination. It can be illegal and still go unchallenged.

This story did not begin with my termination. It began earlier, after the 2024 election, when the tone in my workplace started to shift. Up until then, my queerness had not been a problem. Or at least, it had not been an open one.

I have been a Montessori educator since 2002. I know how to navigate. I know how to frame conversations through the language of dignity, respect, and peace education. I know how to hold space for children and adults. I am not careless. I am intentional.

Which is why I knew something was off when it started.

It began with a lie.

The owner told me that prospective parents had been looking through the books on my classroom shelf. The books were in forward facing baskets, accessible to students, exactly as they should be. She said those parents had concerns about a few titles by Alex Gino.

That did not make sense.

I asked questions. If certain books were considered inappropriate, then that standard needed to be applied across classrooms. You do not selectively censor one teacher. I also questioned why prospective parents were allowed to go through my materials in the first place.

Then the story changed.

It was not prospective parents.

It was the owner’s husband.

That mattered. Because not long before that, the owner had shared with me and another colleague that her husband was upset that their son might be gay. I heard it, but I assumed it would stay where it belonged, in their personal life.

It did not.

The literacy specialist, someone I trusted, agreed with the owner. The books were deemed inappropriate for an upper elementary classroom. There was no discussion of literary merit. No discussion of student need. No grounding in Montessori philosophy, which is built on honoring the full humanity of the child.

Just inappropriate.

I was not explicitly forced to remove the books.

But I removed them.

Because I wanted to keep my job.

Around the same time, another teacher was asked to remove her pride flag. She took it down and then put it back up. Nothing happened. Her flag is still in her classroom today.

She is white. She is straight.

That difference matters.

In May, things escalated.

An anonymous letter was sent to me and to selected staff members. Not the colleagues who knew my work best. The letter asked for my resignation. It claimed I was teaching transgender content in a way that made students afraid of me.

It was not true.

It was also not random.

It drew on a familiar and harmful narrative. The idea that a queer teacher is somehow unsafe. That narrative has been used for decades to justify exclusion.

There was no meaningful investigation. No real conversation. The letter simply existed, and that was enough.

Over the summer, the isolation became more structured.

They hired a new coach.

No one told me.

I was the coach.

Then came August 20.

My birthday.

A student in my class had a severe meltdown in the cafeteria. It was loud and overstimulating, not unusual in a school setting. I did what I have always done.

I stayed.

I crouched down to her level and tried to hear her. I asked if she wanted to move to a quieter space. She refused and said I was bullying her.

So I stayed.

Because we do not abandon children in those moments. We regulate alongside them. That is what good teaching looks like.

The interaction was captured on video, but there was no sound. Only an image of me crouched down, trying to connect.

A week later, her father came in to complain.

What is important is this.

I had already called both parents. I reached the mother. I explained what happened. I offered a follow up conversation. I informed my director.

I did everything I was supposed to do.

What I did not know was that my director failed to pass that information on.

At 3:30 that afternoon, I was fired.

The reasons given were parallel conversations with parents, insubordination, and low job performance.

None of it was true.

The owner’s husband told me they were tired of defending me.

Defending me from what.

At the same time, the owner told my colleagues that my termination had nothing to do with the anonymous letter. Her husband told me directly that it did.

Two conflicting stories. One outcome.

They walked me out of the building.

I was told I could return over the weekend to collect my belongings. When I did, I was met by three administrators who stood over me, watched me, questioned me, and accused me of stealing.

Over pencils.

Over markers.

After everything I had given to that classroom.

I left with what was mine and nothing more.

And just like that, I was unemployed.

For two months, I tried to make sense of what had happened. I replayed every conversation, every decision, every moment. What I kept coming back to was this.

This was not about performance.

I eventually found a position at a non Montessori school. I showed up and did my job, because that is what I do.

But I was crushed.

Not because I lost a job.

Because I saw how discrimination works now.

It is not loud. It is not explicit. No one says the word. There is no document that states the truth. Instead, it is layered through language like fit, alignment, and performance. It is carried out through small decisions that, on their own, seem explainable, but together form a pattern.

It is deniable.

And that is what makes it so effective.

I am a Montessori educator. I believe in dignity. I believe in truth. I believe in allowing each child and each adult to exist as they are.

I also believe that silence allows this to continue.

So I am not silent.

I know what happened.

And I am saying it clearly.

I was fired because I was gay.



No comments:

It started with a lie

It Started with a Lie There is no other way to say this. I was fired because I was gay. Yes, it is illegal. And yes, I tried to find an atto...